Lead Poisoning – How Do You Get Lead Poisoning?

80% of childhood lead poisoning occurs at home. Many homeowners are not aware of the hazards associated with lead-based paint and unknowingly poison their own children by not following safe work practices during renovation or by not attending to deteriorating and/or chipping paint.

Lead is a powerful neurotoxin that interferes with the development and functioning of almost all body organs, particularly the kidneys, red blood cells, and central nervous system. In young children, lead retards the development of the central nervous system and brain.

Childhood lead poisoning is the number one environmental health risk for children today. In the United States, more than three million children age six and younger — that’s one out of six — already have toxic levels of lead in their bodies.

Even tiny amounts of lead can cause reduced IQ, reading and learning disabilities, attention deficit disorder and behavioral problems. As a result, lead poisoning is associated with lower educational achievement, higher school drop-out rates, and increased delinquency. It is estimated that lead poisoning has tripled the number of children needing special education.

While it is true that many kids get poisoned by eating paint chips — they taste sweet — most children are poisoned by invisible lead dust created when lead paint deteriorates from age, is exposed to the elements, is damaged by water, is exposed by friction (such as the opening and closing of a door or window), or during home renovation.

We highly advise a lead content test to determine if a home has safe lead levels.

Before you buy a home or investment property, get a lead inspection.  It’s not very expensive.  What IS expensive is getting lead poison or the remediation of lead content AFTER you have made your purchase.  In most cases, you should be able to demand the seller get a lead-safe certification during the due-diligence period.

Contact us for a quote. https://leadtestingpa.com/